This content marketing ideas post is part 3 of a series on content marketing. In our first post, we talked about what content marketing is and why you should dive in. In our second post, we talked about how to get started with content marketing – how to create a process that will work for you. This post is about ideas and where you can find them for your blog.
Ideas are everywhere and your job as a content marketer is to find the content that your customers want and need and then give it to them in a way that will keep them coming back for more.
Some people find it difficult to come up with topics to write about. Others have so many content marketing ideas that they don’t know where to begin. If you ever feel stuck, here are a few places that you can check out to get your thought process started.
[clickToTweet tweet=”Ideas are everywhere. Your job as a blogger & marketer is to find the content your customers want & need ” quote=”Ideas are everywhere. Your job as a blogger & marketer is to find the content your customers want & need”]
Customer generated content
- Customer questions: This goes back to your audience – what problems do they have, what questions are you asked over and over again? Do you have an FAQ page? Can you take one of those questions and turn that into a detailed blog?
- Make your clients the heroes of your blog: Write success stories about them.
- Similar to the point above but more formal, write a case study about helping a client move to a better position, or place or taking their business to the next level.
Content generated on social media
There are so many interesting conversations happening in social media. Think about those people who you follow or those who follow you. What are they talking about? Would your blog audience be interested in this topic? If so, write about it.
Google has so many cool services that can help you to generate content ideas. Here are just a few:
- Google News – what’s happening in your industry – search some of your keywords and see what comes up in Google News (Also check out Google Alerts to find current opinion, information and trends in your industry)
- Google Suggests – start typing a search term in Google and see what else comes up as you type. There may be some interesting content ideas there.
- Google Alerts – set a term in Google alerts and read content with your keywords in them
- Google Keyword Planner – if you have a Google Adwords account, you can search keywords. After the search, Google will give some other suggestions – I could write a lot more about the keyword planner but that’s probably another post.
- YouTube (yes, they’re owned by Google) – search for videos with relevant information on your subject area. You can embed them in your post and give additional information to enrich the video.
Other online places to find content marketing ideas
- Your LinkedIn Groups – review the many interesting discussions here that may be of interest to your target audience – make sure you add your voice or perspective in your post.
- Read your industry’s authorities’ blogs. Write a response or rebuttal to something that you have read
- Check out what your competition is writing about on their blog. Respond to them or give a contrarian position, if you have one.
- Participate in online forums. What are the experts talking about? What questions are people asking? Would your customers or audience be interested in those topics? How could it help them?
- Write down some of your own ah-has about your industry based on your experience.
- If you participate in professional associations, what topics do you explore in this environment? When attending a conference or a meeting, think about how you can use topics or content to speak to your audience.
- Read Trade Magazines: Trade magazines often provide current events and topics that are industry specific. Ask yourself: Would my target customers be interested in this information? If so, how could this information make their life better? Blog about the topic, making sure to explain the benefits of the information.
This is just a short list of where and how to generate content marketing ideas. There are certainly many more places to generate ideas and tons of posts on this topic.
[clickToTweet tweet=”Ideas are everywhere. Your job as a marketer is to find the content your customers want & need ” quote=”Ideas are everywhere. Your job as a marketer is to find the content that your customers want and need and then give it to them in a way that will keep them coming back for more.”]