Dropbox is a file service which uses cloud computing to enable users to backup and share files and folders with others across the Internet using file synchronization.
Why We Recommend and Use Dropbox
- File sharing is a flexible, easy way to share information without using email.
- Any file you put into a Dropbox folder is automatically backed up to their servers. By default, Dropbox keeps 30 days of history for all your files, so even if you’ve deleted a file from your Dropbox you can still restore it.
- The free 2GB account is perfect for backing up smaller files and documents but you may wish to move to a larger paid account (up to 100GB) for backing up more and bigger files.
- You can also get more space by inviting your friends. For every friend your refer to Dropbox, you’ll both get 500 MB of bonus space (up to a limit of 16 GB).
- Putting crucial files in Dropbox as an off-site backup is very wise. Dropbox may just save your bacon — or your files, at least.
- Some WordPress backup plugins can backup to Dropbox.
Getting Started with Dropbox
- Use this link to get Dropbox.
- When you click on the link, you’ll land at a Welcome to Dropbox page. Sign up for your Dropbox account and create a username and password. Click “Create account” once you’ve filled in your details.
- When you’ve created your account, the Dropbox download should automatically start within seconds.
- Run the Dropbox installer: Click on the exe.file that downloaded in the lower left corner of your browser window
- Click “yes” to accept changes
- Follow the setup instructions
- When Dropbox is installed it will add a little icon down in the bottom right of your taskbar and place another icon on your desktop.
- Now right click on the taskbar icon then select launch Dropbox website. A new tab should open in your browser. This is where you will store your folders.
How to create a folder
- Right-click on the Dropbox icon in the left-hand corner of the site.
- A drop down menu will appear. Click on it – a new folder will appear that you will name.
Once you have created the folder, share it with your web designer, colleague, business partner …
How to share folders with collaborators
- Hover your mouse over your new folder, highlighting it to blue and right click. A drop down list will appear. From the list select invite to folder.
- Click invite to folder and a share window will popup. Enter the email addresses of those you want to invite and send a little note with the email.
- You will be notified when they have accepted your invitation.
Watch this video for a better understanding of Dropbox: