Say Goodbye to The Facebook Like box
As of June 23rd, 2015 the Facebook Like Box, Activity Feed and Facepile (that displays faces of your fans) will be deprecated [source]. This means that your WordPress sidebar widget will disappear.
Facebook is migrating all apps to v2.0 of the Graph API with the goal of giving people more control over the information they share with apps.
WordPress Plugin developers will likely scramble to update but you don’t need to rely on a WordPress plugin. You can go to Facebook and create your own box and add it to your WordPress website.How to embed a Facebook page in #WordPressClick To Tweet
Create your new box
- Go to the Facebook Page Plugins developers page
- Enter your Facebook page url in the box
- You don’t need to enter dimensions in the box. If you leave this blank the box will adjust responsively. The box changes size based on the size of the container from 280px to 500px.
- You can also choose to show or hide your page cover photo, your page posts, and friends’ faces. If you choose the option for friends faces, people who visit your blog will see a count of their Facebook friends that like your Page with their profile photos. You can play around, turning these options on and off, the box preview will change.
- When you’re happy with the display click Get Code
Facebook will generate two codes in a popup box for you.
1. Highlight and copy the code from the first box
This code needs to go in the header.php file of your Child Theme, ideally right after the opening
If you are using the CyberChimps Responsive Theme you can add the code in theme options. Go to Appearance ->Theme Options and click on Scripts. Paste the code in the box that embeds to the Header.php file and click Save Options.
2. Highlight and copy the code from the second box
Place the code for your plugin wherever you want the plugin to appear on your page. The ideal place for this will be in a sidebar widget. Go to Appearance -> Widgets and add a text widget to a widget area. Then paste in the code.
Ta-da! Your new and improved Facebook Page Box will display
Go to the front end of your site and view your new responsive Facebook box.
I must admit that I’ve always found it a little intrusive that Facebook fan photos are displayed in websites all over the Internet. What do you think? Do you miss seeing your fans’ pictures or are you happy that the Facebook Page Box now respects your fans’ privacy by not showing their photo in your sidebar?