When using Pinterest for business you want to start with a well optimized profile. Optimizing your profile, your boards and your pins will ensure that Pinterest displays your pins in Pinterest search results.
Are you wanting to learn how to use Pinterest to promote your WordPress blog? You need to start with a Business Account. If you haven’t done this step head over to our tutorial Getting Started with Pinterest for your Business. We’ll walk you through creating a new business account or converting a personal account to a business account and verifying your website with Pinterest.
In this three part series – 20 Tips to Polish your Pinterest Account – we will give you
- 6 steps to improve your Pinterest Profile
- 8 Tips to Optimize your Pinterest Boards
- and 6 tips to Pin like a Pro
[clickToTweet tweet=”Optimize your profile, boards, pins so #Pinterest will display your pins in search results pic.twitter.com/tyYOurC04B” quote=”Optimize your profile, boards and pins so Pinterest will display your pins in search results”]
6 steps to improve your Pinterest Profile
1. Pinterest username. When choosing your username understand that it is used to create your profile’s web address – pinterest.com/yourname. Your username can be 3-15 characters long and can’t have spaces, symbols or punctuation. You can change your username in Profile Account Settings. Our username is learnwp
2. Upload a Profile Picture. Your profile picture appears at the top of your profile and on your Pins, boards, comments and messages. It is best to show your face in the photo rather than a logo. People would rather connect with a real person than a brand that they don’t know. Use one image consistently on all social platforms – on Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, Google Plus, as your Gravatar …. everywhere on the web.
3. Optimize your Business Name with descriptive keywords. 25 characters will display below your image on your profile page (three dots … will show if you use more than that). Your full name will show elsewhere on Pinterest so don’t worry if 25 isn’t enough for you. Instead of just using LearnWP our Business name is set to LearnWP WordPress Training. By adding the keyword WordPress our profile will show up when someone searches for WordPress Pinners.
4. About You is the Profile Description that shows below your Business Name – You have 160 Characters to work with. Provide a description of your business and the type of stuff you Pin.
5. Location – According to Pinterest “Your location tells other Pinners where you’re from. Leave it blank, or represent your town with pride. We highly recommend that your location be no more specific than the city you live in.” Promoted pin campaigns (not available in Canada yet) can be targeted towards pinners by location.
6. Social Links – Link your Twitter & Facebook Profiles (Note unfortunately this will be your personal Facebook Profile not a business page).
How have you done? Ready for 8 Tips to optimize your Pinterest Boards? That’s our next post.