Learn how to customize an existing WordPress theme or begin to build a theme yourself!
Beginner coding classes in Toronto so you can [be your own geek]
HTML & CSS for WordPress Workshop
In this one-day Workshop, you will learn to use HTML, CSS and FTP for WordPress. You’ll even make your own WordPress child theme.
Learning Objectives: By the end of the workshop you will
- Know the basics of HTML & CSS
- Feel comfortable switching from the Visual editor to the WordPress Text editor to clean up and customize the HTML
- Understand how to make changes to a WordPress theme’s style.css file to customize your website’s appearance
- Be able to use Filezilla to access your site files by FTP
Prerequisite: Familiarity with WordPress and the WordPress Visual Editor. It is good (but not required) to first take our 2-day WordPress Intensive Workshop.
Course Level: Introductory Coding. Not for novice WordPress users.
An Introduction to HTML & CSS for WordPress Users
- Review of the WordPress Visual Editor
Discover things you may have missed in the Visual Editor
- Introduction to HTML
Gain a basic understanding of HTML. Learn basic tags.
- Beyond the WordPress Visual Editor
You’ll learn to switch from the WordPress Visual Editor to the Text Editor and to read, edit and write HTML code.
- Introduction to CSS
Learn about cascading style sheets and how to mark up your html code to use custom styles.
- FTP with Filezilla
In this module, we will introduce Filezilla. We will explore the directory structure of WordPress and download theme files from the Host server to our local computers for customization and backup purposes. When you learn to connect by FTP, you will be able to restore your WordPress website if it breaks while updating.
- Create your own WordPress Child Theme for the new TwentySeventeen WordPress Theme with Komodo Edit
- Inspect Element
We will use a browser extension to find elements from plugins and themes to style.
Bring your own laptop and complete all Pre-Workshop Prep