There are a number of DIY website builders available today. We aren’t going to compare different platforms but we will help you learn how to make your WordPress website your own. With a bit of knowledge, you can customize your WordPress theme and fearlessly manage WordPress updates.
If you’re like a lot of our WordPress Intensive workshop students, you’ve come to WordPress from the non-geeky side of the web. In other words, you really don’t feel very comfortable with “code.” You’re a small business owner or a marketer in a company and you want to handle your online marketing but you’re still a bit unsure about doing theme or plugin updates or customizations to WordPress.
Grab a cup of coffee (okay maybe a pot) and get ready to [be your own geek].
5-step DIY Web design crash course
If you invest some time you can learn how to customize WordPress yourself. Start here…
- If you want to dip your toe into code to gain confidence editing and managing your own WordPress site, begin by learning basic HTML & CSS and how to use the Text Editor within WordPress.
- Learn to connect to your WordPress files using FTP: Your WordPress files are on your server (host) with an FTP program you can copy those files down to your computer. This serves as a backup and allows you to edit and customize your WordPress theme.
- To ensure that your customizations are saved from future theme updates, use a Child Theme. Your theme developer will often provide a child theme zip folder for you to use as a starting point.
- Discover how to Inspect Element — a web development tool in your browser. By adding Inspect Element to your toolkit, you’ll be able to see what elements in your WordPress theme or plugins you need to target with CSS styling.
- Open the style.css file with a program such as Dreamweaver or Komodo Edit. Use your new-found CSS skills to make styling changes and then, once you’ve edited the files, put them back on the server in the child theme folder.
You can learn a lot by reading the posts we’ve added here. But this may take a lot of your time. There is another alternative.
Join us for a 1-day HTML & CSS class
So many of our participants want to learn all these skills and after the 2-day Intensive and they’re ready to do it. But they just don’t have the time to learn on their own. So we created an HTML/CSS workshop where you can learn all the skills in a day.
In this one-day Workshop, you will learn to use HTML & CSS for WordPress. By the end of the workshop you will:
- Know the basics of HTML & CSS
- Feel comfortable switching from the Visual editor to the WordPress Text editor to clean up and customize the HTML
- Understand how to make changes to a WordPress theme’s style.css file to customize your website’s appearance
- Access your site files by FTP
There are a number of HTML & CSS courses available both online and in-class but this course is unique. We teach HTML & CSS from a WordPress perspective. You will learning how these languages work in WordPress so you can take control over your website with added confidence.
We’re running it soon. Sign up here for “An introduction to HTML & CSS for WordPress Users”.